Interview : Kulraj Randhawa

Monday, December 20, 2010

'Dharam-ji is the ultimate icon for Punjabis'

Yamla Pagla Deewana Wallpaper
view KULRAJ RANDHWA photo gallery

We're in a fun conversation with Kulraj Randhawa, the pretty, dimpled, petite actress who is all set to delight audiences as the female lead, opposite the irrepressible Bobby Deol in YAMLA PAGLA DEEWANA. With the film's promos making waves in the industry and the second song on release we talk to the actress about her dreams and of course the Deols!

Tell us about your role in the film
I essay the role of a photographer, who has travelled the world and has come from Benaras to shoot a series of images for a coffee table book. She's an independent girl, very clear about what she wants. She meets Bobby and there begins their mad, funny romantic adventure.

CHECK OUT: Yamla Pagla Deewana Movie Preview

You have created history in TV and are one of the few TV actors to have made the transition from TV to film. How did this happen?
Well I consider myself very lucky. I had been approached by Director Samir Karnik for a role in another film - an emotional drama. In course of the conversation, he felt I had what he was looking at for 'Sahiba', and he suggested I audition for this role as well, and I got the part!

This is a dream debut -- working with stars like the Deols -- each a legend. Tell us a little about the experience
I'm Punjabi, and Dharam-ji is the ultimate icon for Punjabis. I'm a big fan of his, and was very nervous shooting with the Deols on our first day. But all melted down once I met them. Dharam ji's sweetness and ease was really incredible. He not only made me very comfortable on the sets but everyone who were present on the sets, from actors to technicians.




Yamla Pagla Deewana Wallpaper
download KULRAJ RANDHAWA wallpapers
That must've made you feel better? Because in Punjab people love Dharamji so much!
Tell me about it! A horde of fans would gather outside the hotel where they were shooting in Patiala. At 5 in the morning, dhols would start with songs from Dharamji's films. And Dharamji would go meet fans every single day, and even if 40 people came to the sets to visit, he would patiently take photos with them all. It was amazing.

It's YAMLA PAGLA DEEWANA. If you had to give each of the Deols starring in the film a title, which one would it be?
Aah! Tough one. I guess, Sunny Sir would be YAMLA, Bobby PAGLA and Dharam ji -- DEEWANA!

You play a photographer in the film -- how did you prepare for the role?
I was fascinated by the very idea of playing a photographer, and took it quite seriously. I studied basic photography and learnt my way around a pro-cam. I even took a whole series of photos on location, although I doubt those will actually make it to a coffee table book, but certainly lovely memories!

What next?
Well I have a couple of offers for films that I am considering, but it's too early to speak about these. I am really encouraged by the response of the industry and audiences to our promo. And I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Well Kulraj, we wish you all the best!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment